Monday 6 October 2014

Waterland World; or I'm Alive

a poem from a collection entitled "Spit Mancunia" by Gary Knapton



Battle-scar fresh from war-time belligerence


Clinking the colonial toast


Faith moves mountains


They're moving Manchester!*


Carrying her over to the coast



The crazy gang populace


Here in Cottonopolis


Never trod softly on dreams


Brash-brawn autonomous


Re; the eponymous


Ripping up the land to smithereens



A back-break strive


To be lucky being alive


Liverpool took a goodbye bow


Everything just beckoned


They were here this second


They were living all of their dreams now



Many men smiled at the long-sewn promise


That their shovels, picks and barrows unfurled


In a time gone by


On a canvas of dry


They were digging out a waterland world



Having wasted many years


Paying Merseyside dockers


Dancing gaily to a prisoner’s song


Free at a canter


Hear the Ship Canal mantra


If you know the words, sing along…..



“There’s nothing I want


There’s no piece missing


There’s no race I never could run


I’ve Mancunian cotton


I’m alive


I’ve gone and gotten all of my dreams in one”



Years later I stand


On the verge of water


That genuflects out of my sight


And the seagulls twist


Over rain-cloud mist


On melodious blue canal light



Know freedom’s never treason


And it’s never out of season


Did the corners of your dreams get curled ?


Big shout going out


To the land-locked city


That dug itself a waterland world



There's nothing I want


There's no piece missing


There's no race I never could run


I'm spoilt dead rotten


I'm alive


I've gone and gotten all of my dreams in one



*to let the sea flow in, twenty thousand Irishmen moved fifty two million tonnes of land










No comments:

Post a Comment

Spin Rhetorica; or Grin: or If I Were Called In

  If I were called in to construct a belief system, I should make use of birds A codified catalogue of values and full-grown whole known lur...

The House of Words

The House of Words
built like a novel

She Travels Through Books

She Travels Through Books
the green light girl